With the announcement of the death of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro, America is offered another comparison-contrast to see just how amazing our republic truly is, especially in light of the power of capitalism and freedom. But is the pro-socialist work of President Obama rooted in the U.S. beyond a President-elect Trump’s ability to root it out?
When socialist Fidel Castro seized power of Cuba in 1959, he killed capitalism and ran Christianity out of his country. In fact, he announced that his country was an atheist state soon after his Marxist guerrillas ousted Fulgencio Batista almost 60 years ago. He closed Catholic schools and deported 130 priests as he initiated his mission to boot God and the church out of Cuba through dictate and deprivation. In 1969, he even abolished the paid Christmas holiday by explaining that he needed everyone to harvest the sugar crops.
Does a slow cooking of the religious frog in the kettle feel vaguely familiar? (That is one reason I wrote my column earlier this year, “Welcome to the U.S. of China!”)
Fidel Castro was the sheer antithesis of who I am, just as Cuba should be the antithesis of the U.S. I’m a fighter for all Americans’ First and Second Amendment rights. The freedoms of speech, religion and self-defense remain the bedrock liberties in our republic.
America is a melting pot on many levels. Chief among them is our religious and international makeup. Nowhere is that clearer than during the holiday season, which includes some of the most meaningful multicultural festive days.
Some key events for different people groups are:
- Christmas Day (Christian)
- Hanukkah (Jewish)
- Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexican)
- Lucia Day (Swedish)
- Three Kings Day/Epiphany (Orthodox Christian)
- Boxing Day (Australian, Canadian, English, Irish)
- Kwanzaa (African-American)
- Mawlid (Islamic)
- Omisoka (Japanese)
My wife, Gena, and I are evangelical Christians, but we also respect others’ religions of choice. We believe in tolerance – both a word and action that unfortunately have been hijacked and misused. Many who say they promote tolerance have been some of the most intolerant to those who oppose their views, and that’s not real tolerance. Consequently, they inadvertently suppress the First Amendment rights of those they bully or belittle.
President Obama has been one of the biggest culprits. He says that he’s a big advocate of tolerance, yet he has made hundreds of decisions that have restricted others’ freedoms, including religious ones, and especially among Christians – Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox. His political actions have limited their First Amendment rights, from within the armed forces to the public square and in their private choices.
Obama and his administration have almost single-handedly created or certainly inflamed a culture within our culture that is intolerantly secular progressive and on the fast track to turning our capitalistic culture into a communistic one, like Cuba.
Is it any wonder that Obama praised Fidel Castro in his condolence remarks, not offering a single negative about the brutal dictator?
It is no surprise that Obama has earned the title of “the most biblically hostile U.S. president” by a prominent American religious historian.
A few hundred of Obama’s secular progressive changes are listed at WallBuilders.com. Here’s a small sample from the last five years:
- “November 2011 – The Air Force Academy rescinds support for Operation Christmas Child, a program to send holiday gifts to impoverished children across the world, because the program is run by a Christian charity.
- “January 2012 – The Obama administration argues that the First Amendment provides no protection for churches and synagogues in hiring their pastors and rabbis.
- “February 2012 – The Obama administration forgives student loans in exchange for public service, but announces it will no longer forgive student loans if the public service is related to religion.
- “November 2011 – The Air Force Academy pays $80,000 to add a Stonehenge-like worship center for pagans, druids, witches and Wiccans.
- “February 2013 – The Obama administration announces that the rights of religious conscience for individuals will not be protected under the Affordable Care Act.
- “June 2014 – Official U. S. government personnel, both civilian and military, in Bahrain (a small Arabic nation near Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Iran) must wear clothing that facilitates the religious observance of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
- “March 2014 – Maxell Air Force Base suddenly bans Gideons from handing out Bibles to willing recruits, a practice that had been occurring for years previously.
- “March 2015 – A decorated Navy chaplain was prohibited from fulfilling his duty of comforting the family (or any member of the unit) after the loss of a sailor because it was feared that he would say something about faith and God. He was even banned from the base on the day of the sailor’s memorial service.
- “March 2015 – A highly decorated Navy SEAL chaplain was relieved of duty for providing counseling that contained religious views on things such as faith, marriage and sexuality.
- “April 2016 – At the orders of a commander, a 33-year Air Force veteran was forcibly and physically removed by four other airmen because he attempted to use the word “God” in a retirement speech.
- “February 2016 – After a complaint was received, a Bible was removed from a display inside a veterans clinic.”
- At the same time that Obama has worked against Judeo-Christian policy and practice, his presidency has been unprecedented in its forthright advocacy for an equal amount of pro-Islamic policies and practices, in and outside the U.S.
The above are not debatable acts of bigotry, or questionable offenses to our First Amendment rights. They are blatant. And they are a part of literally hundreds of anti-freedom and anti-Christian actions that Obama and his administration have taken during his two terms in office.
Living through Obama’s presidency has been like reliving my 1985 movie, “Invasion U.S.A.” In it, I played retired CIA agent, Matt Hunter, who came out of retirement to help the agency and other military officials stop Cuban communist guerrillas from infiltrating and taking over southern Florida, where they were reeking havoc.
At one point in the film, my character even partners with the National Guard in fighting against guerrillas that make a bomb threat and start a shootout at a mall where people are Christmas shopping. Hunter even stops their plans to bomb a church.
With Castro dead and Obama leaving office, President-elect Trump and We the People finally have a chance to stop further socialistic invasion of the U.S.A. America’s slippery slope to socialism can finally be reversed.
A Trump presidency will give a big boost to our capitalistic culture, which is already happening with stock market record highs since his election win. He will also restore a more equitable and free environment for all religions, especially Christianity. Both are his core campaign promises, to which we all need to hold him accountable.
But we don’t need to wait for Trump to take office. In fact, there are actions we the people can take in this very month to help the cause of freedom. And it all starts by not turning a blind eye to Christmas whitewashing or omission, but speaking up to yuletide disdain and dissolution. Then, we need to call on those who can assist us in reversing course on Christmas cultural reductionism.
To help us push back against Obama’s secular progressive avalanche, Liberty Counsel, an international nonprofit litigation, education and policy organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of human life and the family by providing pro bono assistance and representation on these and related topics, has launched their annual Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign.
As Liberty Counsel’s website explains, “This campaign includes encouragement, education – and, if necessary, litigation – to guard our freedom to celebrate Christmas. You can read this sample list of some of the numerous Christmas-related issues in which Liberty Counsel has been involved.”
The Liberty Counsel furthermore explained, “First, each year we publish a new Naughty and Nice List of retailers who either censor or celebrate Christmas. Liberty Counsel encourages you to give the gift of Christmas back to the companies who support it. If retailers choose to profit from Christmas while pretending it does not exist, we encourage you to politely explain why and then patronize their competitors.”
The Counsel added, “Second, we published a legal memorandum detailing how courts and our Constitution preserve the freedom to celebrate Christmas. Our staff has addressed and overturned hundreds of censorship attempts like the following examples.
- “Restoring nativity scenes that had been banned from public property
- “Returning Christmas carols to elderly people whose were silenced in their nursing homes
- “Lifting a ban on public school students wearing red and green colors to class
- “Correcting school officials who rewrote religious words out of Christmas carols
- “Reversing Christmas trees and parades that were renamed ‘holiday’ items
- … and many more.”
Making America great again includes stopping government overreach and returning to every American the freedoms and rights contained in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. And what those founding documents don’t specifically delegate to the federal government belong to the power and decision of individual states. That is our only recourse to recovery as a republic and refrain from becoming more like Cuba.
As Thomas Jefferson said, “A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.”